Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Pinto without Heater Matrix
Photo 
Hi guys im running a S6 with a 2l Pinto 205 block.

in an effort to reduce weight i looking at removing the heater matrix, however after a morning of trawling the interweb on the subject im left with a bit of confusion on how best to do this! there seems to be some difference of opinion on whether you can just blank off the pipe outlets that feed the heater or whether you need to keep the pipe loop inplace...does anyone have the definitive answer for this?
thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

anyone got any thoughts on this?
I just blanked the feed from the water pump off with a short piece of hose and suitable plug.
The connection on the inlet manifold I did away with as I had twin 40’s fitted.
Never had an issue.
Alec
Cat , 1.8 Pinto, GSXR throttle bodies, Emerald ECU, Golf GTI fuel injection pump, Facet red top low pressure fuel pump. OBP floor mounted pedal box.
(13-01-2022, 06:12 PM)althecate1 Wrote: I just blanked the feed from the water pump off with a short piece of hose and suitable plug.
The connection on the inlet manifold I did away with as I had twin 40’s fitted.
Never had an issue.
Alec

Thanks for the comment, If you blanked it do you know how coolant was flowing flowing round the block before the stat opened, did you have another bypass loop? this is the bit i cant get my head around, if that loop is missing how does coolant circulate before the stat opens...
Hi, if the heater is set to cold then the valve would be closed so no water can circulate. You can drill a small hole (2mm) in the thermostat to allow a small amount of water to circulate whilst it is closed.
C20XE powered Avon
In the Haynes manual it describes that “a small amount of water flows from the thermostat housing to the expansion tank but the main flow is through the heater matrix and the inlet manifold automatic choke.”
As I have not had issues then I am presuming this is enough .
Drilling the hole as above would suffice I would think though I don’t have mine drilled.
Alec
Cat , 1.8 Pinto, GSXR throttle bodies, Emerald ECU, Golf GTI fuel injection pump, Facet red top low pressure fuel pump. OBP floor mounted pedal box.